Tuesday 15 April, 2008

Kitchen nightmares

Picture credit : Closer-to-heaven

I know have been a bad blogger by not updating this blog for a very long time now but I guess I rather blog when there is something worthwhile to write about rather than just blabber away to glory. The last few weeks have been good. I passed my basic certification as a pastry chef and now move to cuisine by the end of this month. A few days ago I went to see an Egyptian movie 'Seventh Heaven' part of the Arab film festival. I thought the movie was to be about Sufism and a Sufi dancer but the synopsis on the website were a bit misleading and disappointing.
Now to the big news. I got my 1st kitchen job in Sydney!!! Before this I have only gone for one interview in India and got selected for the job. But the idea of filling out resumes and job hunting is a bit daunting to me. Luckily I got selected for the 1st interview I went for and I accepted. It's a kitchen hand job at a serviced apartment. The chef is an Indonesian guy and I am just to help him and prep food before it leaves the kitchen. The food is nothing to write home about but atleast most of the ingredients used are usually fresh and the the kitchen is rather clean - no Kitchen nightmares here. I was pretty comfortable with the prep and stuff but the hardest part was cleaning up the kitchen once the service was over. But then that is the way it works. You move up the ladder slowly and steadily. Most people who know me would be betting their money that me being so pampered, spoiled and high maintainance wouldn't last very long but I think I am going to take pleasure in proving them wrong. I think it's time for new beginnings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch...reality bites! Every Chef has his day - yours will come too :-)

Good to see you take things in your stride.

Garfield

Single Guy said...

Congrats mate!

Gabriel said...

hurrah! you keep them happy alright? x

Dervish said...

Thanks Garfield, JB, and Gabriel!!
Have my fingers crossed hoping I stick to it.

Anonymous said...

Now I know what you have been up to!!! Kitchenhand extraordinaire!!!Will be in touch. Mr Hyde.

Dervish said...

Thanks for the comment and appreciation Mr Hyde. I didn't think all you guys would still be reading this blog. Thanks everyone!!!