Saturday 26 April, 2008

Radars and hunts!!

Picture credit : Jacktheabyssinian

With too much time on my hands thanks to the vacations and nothing better to do I decided to give some online gay sites a go, you know the kind you'd expect to find someone. I have not been into random hook ups for quite sometime now and was only looking to see what was around. What I saw I wasn't very happy with. Firstly there is a predominance of perfect looking guys with an obsession with going to the gym. Well that rules them out of my list and me out of theirs. Then there are the ones who have the pictures of their private parts in their library as mantels of their 'fertility' or whatever. Once again that doesn't rock my boat. I wouldn't want someone who has it all in the open for the world to see. In my case what is mine is mine is mine and for my eyes only. Once again that is due to some unresolved childhood issues which I would talk about later. And not to be left out are the older generation who seem a bit predatory and though I have a thing for older men I think I put the stop at anyone who is 10 or 14 years older than your truly.
I think with those criteria the only person could date on the website is ME. So my short and unfruitful search ended there and I am planning to say goodbye to the world of online dating or the lack of it on the 1st of May when I am planning to remove my profile from the websites. What happened to meeting the old school way and observing the other person's behaviour in a group of people before you decided to move to the next step. Online it's all about who has the nicest pictures on the profile. It just seems like advertising yourself to being judged by strangers. I think I need to move to the present generation and let go of the ideas of the years gone by. I know it wouldn't be an easy task though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written and commented on, Wandering Dervish. Interaction with gay internet sites can be extremely negative and totally unrealistic! I loved your descriptions of the 'types' that frequent websites. Also,I have learnt NEVER to believe anything written in a profile and photos can be procured on the internet from anywhere in the world. Stick to meeting guys in the community in a natural and realistic way!!! Keep blogging my friend, your youthful thoughts and feelings are an inspiration to me. Mr Hyde + the Harem!

Dervish said...

Thanks for you insight and kind words Mr Hyde and the Harem.

Lesson learned!!!

Will keep you posted!!

Gabriel said...

so well said. i think dating sites are crap. i'd rather be alone than trawl them!

Dervish said...

Thanks for dropping in Gabriel. Appreciate your insightful words!!