Thursday 24 July, 2008

The celebration of being Gay

When I first arrived in Sydney and started to get my bearings right the thing that bothered me and about which I also wrote on the blog was the absence of Indian gay guys and how I felt a minority within a minority. Though I did attend a show called Butterflies in the Mughal Garden performed by a group of South Asian gay men I still felt like the only (Indian) gay in the village. Maybe it's because I don't do the scene. I guess there are a lot of desperate Indians because all I read on profiles on gay dating (or hooking up) sites is "no Asians, no Indians please, no offence". None taken my friend the loss is all yours.
Since then I got involved with life in the big city and got caught up between school, work and sex or should I call it something more civilized like dating. Anyways so when the opportunity came to do something about the situation I couldn't let it go. Garfield told me about Gulmohar- A South Asian film festival that is being held in Petersham, Sydney by Trikone Australia. I guess with all the costumes, dance and music you would think that all Indian movies were gay but that isn't the case. And sadly this isn't like a regular Indian festival like Diwali or Holi with lots of colour, sweets and pomp but nevertheless its pretty exciting and does coincides with the celebration of India's 61st Independence Day on the 15th of August. Sadly enough though India would be celebrating it's Independence day consensual sex between same sex partners is still a crime and gay marriages or civil rights for same sex partners is a very distant dream. This situation forces many gay men and women to migrate to foreign countries because in India they would be forced into heterosexual arranged marriages. I guess the Film festival couldn't come at a better time to illuminate the hypocrisy of 'Modern and Emergent' India.
I know I cannot do much so I am doing my part by promoting it on the blog which I don't think many people read and also by volunteering at the festival. I haven't seen many of the movies either but the one that I would recommend is "My Brother Nikhil". After Maurice it's my 2nd favourite movie on a homosexual theme. It's not your regular Bollywood flick and is a very sensitive and honest portrayal of a young man's struggle with coming to terms with his sexuality and fighting the prejudices against a HIV+ person in a India. In the struggle his pillar of strength is the unconditional love of his sister. A truly heart warming story. If you can please do pass the word along and do visit the website to see if there are any movies that interest you.
Tomorrow is also my first day with Jermy about whom I wrote earlier. I am so looking forward to meeting him again. I hope I am able to handle the responsibility. Its a huge thing for me to be responsible for another human being but I am glad that it is someone as special as Jermy. Will write more about it after the first day.
The other thing that I wanted to write about which has bothered me for a while is Gordon Ramsay. I have no problem with him acting the the way he acts and his foul mouthed personality. Honestly speaking there are worse things on the telly like naked idiots on Big Brother but lets not even go there. The thing that bothers me is how Ramsay has become so fashionable of late while in my opinion he is nothing about food and all about the drama. And if that wasn't enough he is becoming a role model of a kinds for a few of our teachers at school. I agree that the kitchen is a very fast paced and tense environment but being rude and just plain right dick heads just because you are in a position of power isn't going to help anything. And because it is a place which requires perfect co-ordination and team work mutual respect and understanding become all the more vital. So in case you are reading this Mr Ramsay please mend your ways and make life easier for Apprentice Chefs like myself and keep the aggressive behaviour to your bedroom where it does no harm to the world at large.




My Brother Nikhil
Video uploaded by Rajesh Kumar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

heya
dont worry u wont feel like the only gay in the village for long.. a big butterfly will come n flutter its wings and paint the town pink soon :P
i cant believe i had to come here to see if u were alright.. i wait to see the light of the day when you'll find in me a confidant :)
and i'm certainly gonna wait for tht cause i know it'll happen
take care
Hobbes :D

Unknown said...

thanks for this beautiful blog. well put and just the beginning I hope for change

Alan
TRIKONE

Dervish said...

Thanks for the comment. Just playing my part hoping for some much needed change :-)

Anonymous said...

Where are you, young Sir????? Mr Hyde!!!!!

Dervish said...

Sorry for the absence. Been occupied with school and work. How have u been doing??